A Delicious Salad and a Thankful Heart

IMG_3496.JPG

Today, I would like to share the recipe for one of our favorite salad dressings. I copied the flavor from Ken’s Steak House Balsamic and Basil Vinaigrette. We used to buy Ken’s dressings regularly, but I have since learned that it is very inflammatory due to the ingredients they use. And unfortunately most store-bought salad dressings have the same problems. Here is the list of ingredients for Ken’s Steak House Balsamic and Basil Vinaigrette:

Ingredients: Vegetable Oil (Soybean and/or Canola), Water, Vinegar (Balsamic, Distilled), Garlic, Salt, Sugar, Contains 2% or Less of: Basil, Spice, Xanthan Gum, Calcium Disodium EDTA to Protect Quality, Paprika.

The first ingredient is always the main ingredient, and in this case, it is vegetable oil. It may sound good. Vegetables are good for you. But vegetable oils are definitely not.

“Dr. Joseph Hibbeln from the National Institutes of Health has researched the impact of omega 6 and omega 3 fats on our health. He explains that over-consuming omega 6 fats and under-consuming omega 3 fats significantly increases:

  • Heart disease

  • Type 2 diabetes

  • Obesity

  • Metabolic syndrome or pre-diabetes

  • Irritable bowel syndrome

  • Inflammatory bowel syndrome

  • Macular degeneration (eye damage and blindness)

  • Rheumatoid arthritis

  • Asthma

  • Cancer

  • Psychiatric disorders

  • Autoimmune disease”

https://www.ecowatch.com/dr-mark-hyman-why-vegetable-oils-should-not-be-part-of-your-diet-1882164589.html

And to add insult to injury--

“Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) is used as a preservative to retain color. It may irritate the skin or cause skin rash and even asthma. It is on FDA's list of food additives to be studied for toxicity.“ http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=5CF37036-E10A-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Thankfully, salad dressings are super quick to make. Yesterday, I had a lot of errands. When I got back from shopping, I put a couple of whole chickens in the oven to roast. Then I whipped up this quick salad, and voila, dinner was served.

~A Delicious Salad~

IMG_3496.JPG

Romaine lettuce

Red cabbage

Sliced sweet onion

Grated beets

Chopped fresh asparagus

Roasted pumpkin seeds

Topped with one of our favorite salad dressings:

Balsamic Basil Vinaigrette

½ c mild olive oil

2 Tbl + 2 tsp balsamic vinegar

1 Tbl + 1 tsp white wine vinegar

1 clove garlic

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp dried basil

Optional-add a couple Tbl of water for a thinner dressing.

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Makes a great marinade as well!

~And a Thankful Heart~

IMG_3485.JPG

Do you see that huge field of freshly mown hay? Yes, that’s me. And that is right next to our house. And, yes, I did say that I’ve struggled with asthma to freshly mown grass my whole life. For twelve years, every time our neighbor cut his hay, I would be a prisoner inside my house with all of the windows closed for several days. It has taken time to detoxify my body. I noticed some improvements last year. This year, I am free! Did you notice above that both the vegetable oil and the EDTA are linked to asthma. Changing to a homemade salad dressing has been one part of my healing. I am so thankful! This is truly a miracle! IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3486.JPG


Comments